How to Inspect the Crawl Space Insulation
While the inspector is in the crawl space they should check for the presence of insulation and make sure that it is installed properly. Always make sure that the paper on the insulation is always facing the warm/heated side of the home. Please review the entire procedure below.
International Standards of Practice for Performing a General Home Inspection
3.9. Attic, Insulation & Ventilation
I. The inspector shall inspect:
A. Insulation in unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and foundation areas.
II. The inspector shall describe:
A. The type of insulation observed.
III. The inspector shall report as in need of correction:
A. The general absence of insulation or ventilation in unfinished spaces.
IV. The inspector is not required to:
A. Enter the attic or any unfinished spaces that are not readily accessible, or where entry could cause damage or, in the inspector’s opinion, pose a safety hazard.
B. Move, touch or disturb insulation.
E. Identify the composition or R-value of insulation material.
G. Determine the types of materials used in insulation or wrapping of pipes, ducts, jackets, boilers or wiring.
Axium SOP Differences
Axium Requires: Same as NACHI Standards of Practice.
The inspector will need to use a flashlight in order to properly inspect the insulation and make sure that it is secured properly and there is no damage.
- While inspecting the crawlspace we will want to check for the presence of insulation in the crawlspace and make sure it is secured properly and there is no damage present at the time of the inspection. There is one picture required for this section and it should show the insulation in the crawlspace.
- There is no insulation present in the crawl space.
- The paper is the wrong direction on the insulation in the crawl space.
- The insulation has fallen in areas, is not properly covered, is damaged, or loose.
- Not recognizing that the paper is on the wrong side of the insulation.
- Not inspecting the insulation across the entire crawlspace.
- Not using a good flashlight to check the insulation in the crawlspace.
Report / Software